Sep 22
I feel as though Fences, from a readers perspective tried to fit too much into a small play. The characters had dialogue and interactions that were either throw away lines or used to portray a point already hammered into the ground. We spend a lot of time with the characters so when Troy goes on his 100th rant about how hard his life is or tries to over explain something it gets tedious. I wish we had spent more time with Alberta and Troy together so we can see that laugh out loud love life attitude Troy was talking about, instead we just heard more of him and Rose yap along. It was very well written but more baseball allegories from Troy were getting tiresome. I think the theme of like father like son is the cycle of abuse that continues between Troy and his father along with Corey and Troy. Troy is a hateful man who is also a racist and even though he had a lot of potential growing up, like Corey, he ended up a sad drunk bigot. A personal relationship I share with this theme is my father and I, along with my grandfather. Both being alcoholics, that dominant gene could've surfaced in me. My dad was put under the scrutiny of my grandfather at a young age and so was I to my dad. This theme really stood out to me. I think that the little we know about the characters helps me infer things about what websites or songs they might visit is subjective. I think my project does encapsulate these characters well but a lot is up to interpretation.
Comments
Post a Comment